Discuss major trends in U.S. education and religion in the twenty-first century
Paragraph I: After reading the chapter and the article on education, I learned…
Paragraph II: After reading the chapter and article, I am still confused about…
Paragraph III: The concepts/theories (be specific) from the chapter can be related to….” (real-life connection)
Welcome to the discussions about education. According to the text Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials, “Education is the social institution responsible for the systematic transmission of knowledge, skills, and cultural values within a formally organized structure. In all societies, people must acquire certain knowledge and skills in order to survive” (Kendall, D., 2018, p. 349). What historical transformations have education made in the last 5 years? In the last 10 years? What do you know about the concepts of public schools and access to a greater number of people across the United States? In the 19th century, the concept of free schooling started to expand across America and the notion of public schools emerged. Can education play a role in minimizing or eliminating inequality? In what ways?
As a reminder, here are the learning objectives and outcomes:
· Explain why education and religion are important areas of sociological inquiry.
· Identify the key assumptions of functionalist, conflict, and symbolic interactionist perspectives on education.
· Describe the major problems faced by U.S. elementary and secondary schools today.
· Discuss ways in which problems in U.S. higher education are linked to problems in the United States and the world.
· Define religion and identify its key components.
· Compare and contrast the major theoretical perspectives on religion.
· Identify and briefly describe the major types of religious organizations.
· Discuss major trends in U.S. education and religion in the twenty-first century