Which of the two major political parties do you more closely lean towards?
1) About one week prior to the date a scheduled exam’s availability, at least four questions will be made available to students. Three of these questions will be assigned to students on the exam. Whichever three that are selected by Canvas for students to answer will be done so at random by Canvas. No two students should expect to receive the exact same questions in the exact same order.
2) Students are strongly encouraged to prepare an answer for each of the essay questions in advance to account for the possibility that students are tasked with answering the essay question.
3) Students are expected to write ~500-750 words (approx. 2-3 double spaced pages) for each essay question answer. However, students should also prioritize the quality and depth of their answer over minimum word count requirements. Therefore, an effectively communicated answer that is slightly less than 500 words will likely be scored higher than a verbose answer that is 750 words.
4) Check the syllabus and my class announcements for exact dates of the exam’s availability. Expect the exam to be available from 12:01 am on the 1st day of availability until 11:59 pm on the last day of availability.
5) Students are encouraged to work on and complete the exam well in advance of the deadline to protect against “Murphy’s Law” where anything and everything that can possibly go wrong WILL go wrong, especially right at the deadline.
Question 1: Given that the 45th President Donald Trump (and many of his supporters) have questioned the legitimacy of how the 2020 presidential election had been conducted, what is your response? If you were placed in charge of determining how upcoming elections would be conducted in Texas, what change(s) would you push for? Discuss your take on mail-in voting and its pros and cons. Be sure to also discuss the pros and cons of drive-thru voting as well.
Question 2: Explain the revolving door and the Texas legislature. Should ex-legislators be able to become lobbyists? Or should there be a ban on such activities? If so, should there be laws in place that will determine the time period of this kind of ban? Do you see any long-term dangers to permitting former lawmakers to serve as lobbyists? Explain.
Which of the two major political parties do you more closely lean towards? Explain and in doing so, be sure to demonstrate how conversant you are of Texas’ party and ideological leanings in comparison with that of the US as a whole and also between other US states. Given the shifts in Texas’ population demographics, do you believe this is a favorable development given your stated political leanings? Explain and in doing so, be sure to apply your answer to the demographic shifts that were discussed in class.
View keyboard shortcuts