The impact of normalizing alcoholism on society.
Prompt: The impact of normalizing alcoholism on society.
(Examples of social harms: domestic violence, early consumption of alcohol amongst adolescents, child abuse, sexual assult, alcohol-related crime, robbery, drunk driving, etc.)
o An expository essay is one that requires a student to research a topic, evaluate the research, and explain or clarify the topic in a clear and concise manner.
o The expository essay must be complete and logical. Evaluate the credibility of sources, as well as present a topic in a neutral manner, critically examining all aspects of the issue in a neutral manner. This is not an Argumentative Essay, but instead an essay that neutrally explains the topic.
o An expository essay is written from the third-person point of view. This means that personal pronouns such as “I” “me” “mine” “we” “ours” “you” and “yours” are not used.
o The structure of the expository essay includes an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. An expository essay must include:
An introduction should include
• a hook,
• bridge sentences, and
• a clear and concise, thesis statement.
Each body paragraph should include
• a topic sentence that addresses one topic (one topic = one paragraph),
• evidential support, such as credible information from a reliable source,
• MLA formatted in-text citations to give credit to the source of the information used in a sentence, and
• discussion of how the evidence from a source relates to the overall topic and/or thesis statement.
A conclusion that does not simply restate the thesis, but readdresses it in light of the evidence provided.
• Clear and logical transitions are needed between the introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
• Transitions are necessary for the reader to follow the point of the essay.
An MLA formatted Works Cited page that includes all sources used to write the essay.
This Expository Essay must include the following requirements::
• The essay must have between 1000 -1300 words, not including the title page and Works Cited List.
• The essay must use MLA format.
• The essay must have an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
• The essay must have a clearly stated thesis.
• This essay will present a solution that has already been proposed (ex: rehab/therapy for alcoholism). Remember that this is not an argumentative essay, do NOT persuade your audience.
• The essay will include well-developed body paragraphs that use reliable information from credible sources (peer-reviewed/scholarly) to explain the information and discuss how that information is related to the overall topic and/or thesis.
• The essay will have a minimum of four direct quotes from credible sources.
• The essay will have a minimum of four paraphrased pieces of information from credible sources.
• The essay will use MLA formatted in-text citations for every sentence that uses information from a source.
• This essay will include transitions within and between paragraphs.
• The essay will have an MLA formatted Works Cited page that includes all sources used.