how well does either of these poems fit into the tradition of confessional poetry?
MLA Format, 12-point font, Times New Roman, 1-inch margins, works cited page.
Prompt: In class, we read and analyzed two confessional poems, “Nashville After Hours,” by Ada Limón and “American Sonnet for My Past and Future Assassin #47” by Terrance Hayes. Should confessional poetry be considered a sub-genre of creative nonfiction, and how well does either of these poems fit into the tradition of confessional poetry? (What I’m asking with the second part of the question is this: What is the history of confessional poetry, what strategies does it traditionally use, and how does either Hayes’s or Limón’s work compare to the traditional themes and strategies of confessional poetry?)
Focus on “Nashville After Hours,” by Ada Limón
– Your thesis should address the questions posed
– Your body paragraphs should include examples, including summaries and quotes, from all relevant readings/sources
– Your body paragraphs should analyze the literary devices the authors used in their pieces, and how those devices helped readers understand their themes
– Your body paragraphs should synthesize more than 1 author, and should not be organized by author
– Your outside source(s) should be integrated within the essay, referenced throughout as needed, and should not be confined to 1 paragraph
You can break down the essay like this:
– Intro: Give background to the writer Ada Limon and her work, “Nashville After Hours” and sources provided, then a thesis
– Body Paragraph 1: Answer the question of What is the history of confessional poetry by using source #1 or #2. (use quotes and analyse with 2-3 sentences per quote).
– Body Paragraph 2: Answer the question of what strategies confessional poetry uses by using source #1 or #2. (use quotes and analyse with 2-3 sentences per quote).
– Body Paragraph 3: Answer the question of should confessional poetry be considered a sub-genre of creative non-fiction and how does Limon’s work compare to traditional themes and strategies of confessional poetry? (Use the sources to explain the why/why not confessional poetry should be considered a sub-genre of creative non-fiction by digging into the history and explaining what creative non-fiction is (Source #3 may help); compare Limon’s poem, “Nashville After Hours” to prove/disprove your point by using quotes and analyzing them; use quotes and analyze with 2-3 sentences per quote)
Source 1: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/collections/151109/an-introduction-to-confessional-poetry
Source 2: https://poets.org/text/brief-guide-confessional-poetry
Source 3: https://writers.com/what-is-creative-nonfiction
Source 4 (Ada Limon’s poem, “Nashville After Hours”): Poem included in files (ignore the highlights). If the file is not accessible you can use this link to view the poem: http://www.versedaily.org/2015/nashvilleafterhours.shtml. When citing with MLA, use this for this citation: Limon, Ada. Nashville After Hours. Daily Verse.
Teacher noted that Sources #1 and #2 may not fully explain creative nonfiction. You may need to use Source #4 or find another source to fully respond to the question on if confessional poetry can be used as a sub genre of creative nonfiction (from Body Paragraph 3).