analyze Weber’s 6 principles of bureaucracy
For this assignment, you will conduct a step-by-step organizational analysis.
Please choose an organization you are fascinated with for this case study. It can be one of
your workplaces, an organization in your hometown, Fortune 500 company, university,
hospital, prison etc. Since this is a research paper, you must conduct two types of research:
1. Short literature review. Please use a min. of 5 academic sources to describe this
organization (the organizational website and textbook should count as extra sources). In
addition to books and peer reviewed articles, you may also use the business section of
leading newspapers and magazines (New York Times, Wall Street, Harvard Business
Review, Fortune Magazine, Forbes, AJC etc).
2. Empirical research. You are encouraged to collect your own original/ primary data or analyze/ interpret existing/ secondary data on the organization of your choice. You may use participant observation/ visit the organization, interview employees and/ or managers face-to-face or by phone. It is best to visit the organization, so you can provide primary unfiltered observations on the organization of your choice. However, you may also find a ton of information on the organizational website and/ or documentaries/ employee interviews on YouTube, Netflix
etc. (please make sure to provide references for your secondary data).
The Midterm Paper should have the following sections:
1. Title of the Paper and Student
2. Descriiption of the organization (mission, vision, values, headquarters, number of
employees, workforce diversity etc.).
3. Brief history of the organization from its founders
4. Environment (tip: protecting the environment is extremely important for an
organization, but the organizational environment includes much more than the physical
environment: customers, partners, investors, suppliers, alliances, networks, economic and
political forces, unions, regulators, media, institutions etc.).
5. Social Structure (tip: please
analyze Weber’s 6 principles of bureaucracy in the context of your organization;
mechanistic versus organic organizations; you may attach and discuss the organizational
chart, discuss the supply chain, the lifecycle of the organization, organization as an open
and close systems, symbolic practices that provide structure and routine, postmodern
perspectives of social structure).
Midterm Paper format: 1,500-2,000 words (not including the Bibliography), Time News
Roman 12, double space. American Sociological Association (ASA) or American
Psychological Association (APA) citation style