submit a policy briefing paper on the same topic as the presentation (Mock Foreign Policy Press Conference) .
Policy Briefing Paper
The students will submit a policy briefing paper on the same topic as the presentation (Mock Foreign Policy Press Conference) . The written assignment will require the students to present their analysis in a succinct manner by focusing on the policy alternatives and recommendations, which will showcase their ability to apply different concepts in the field of Gulf Affairs.
Policy Brief Paper Guidelines
A policy brief is a short document that either advocates for a particular position or objectively describes a policy issue and suggest possible policy options or argue for particular courses of action to a non-specialized audience. Given the nature of the module, the policy brief will be directed to policymakers/ head of states. A policy brief is 3 pages in length (approx. 1500 words), and uses facts and figures to communicating the practical implications of research to the target audience.
Policy briefing paper should include these sections:
• Title: An engaging title to communicate the contents of the brief
• Executive Summary: This section (1 – 2 paragraphs) offers an overview of the problem and the proposed policy action
• Context/Scope of the Problem: This section outlines the significance of the problem and aims to convince the examiner of the necessity of the policy action
• Policy Alternatives: This section illustrates the current policy approach and explains the proposed options. This should also justify the proposed policy action
• Policy Recommendations: This section contains the most detailed explanation of the concrete steps to be taken to address the issue in question.
• Appendices (optional): This section will complement your argument by providing extra information (i.e. graphs and charts) as deemed necessary
• Bibliography: This section will indicated the sources you consulted in guiding your policy discussion and recommendations.