Describe how educator’s discipline in the education setting. Provide at least two
Understanding Multiple Cultures
In Week 1, you had a chance to explore your own identify and personal beliefs. This provided an opportunity for you to examine your own view of the world that has been influenced by your cultural upbringing and experiences helping you understand your thoughts, actions, behaviors and the way you communicate. As an educator, it is also important for you to understand your students’ cultures, so you have an appreciation for how culture also influences the way they interact with you. This will require you to examine the culture of your students beyond a superficial awareness (Tichnor-Wagner, Parkhouse, Glazier, & Cain, 2019). You can then use this information to create learning experiences that are culturally responsive; however, it is also important that you do not make assumptions about students from a particular culture as this will lead to stereotyping. Culture is complex and there will be variations from student to student.
• Read Chapter 5: Experiential Understanding of Diverse Cultures in your text.
• Read Chapter 6: Intercultural Communication in your text.
• Read Chapter 8: Creating a Classroom that Values Diversity and Global Engagement in your text.
• Review through the seven principles and characteristics of Culturally Responsive Teaching (Links to an external site.)
Write: Choose a country whose culture that you either are unfamiliar with or you might have learners from within your instructional setting, and then complete the following:
• Describe the teaching style of educators in your selected country. Provide at least two examples of how you might see educators teach in an instructional setting from that country.
• Describe the learning style of learners in your selected country. Provide at least two examples of how learners typically learn in that country.
o For example, they may have a different approach to learning certain math concepts such as long division.
• Describe the instructional setting. Provide at least two examples of the instructional setting in that country.
o For example, if you walked into the instructional setting, what would you see?
• Describe how educator’s discipline in the education setting. Provide at least two
• Describe the educator to learner relationship in that country. Provide at least one
• Describe the learner to learner relationship in that country. Provide at least one
• Describe at least two examples of non-verbal behavior that is common among the people of your selected country.
o Examples may be related to physical proximity, gestures, intonation, turn-taking, degree of directness, and punctuality.
• Describe one example of polite and one example of impolite behavior common among the people of your selected country.
Knowing more about the culture of your selected country, respond to the following:
• Examine how the culture of your selected country is similar and different to your own culture.
• Describe two problems that you foresee a learner from your selected country having in your instructional setting. Be specific and connect it to the information you found about the culture of your selected country.
• For each problem, develop a solution using culturally responsive teaching practices. Refer to Chapter 8 in your text to support your response. You may also use an additional source if needed.
o Be sure that one of your solutions includes the use of digital resources to support the implementation of culturally relevant instructional practices.