What is your rationale for the medication you chose to prescribe?
You will be presented with a patient case and then answer a series of questions.
Review the case information and then answer each required question with a succinct, informative answer.
Answers should be one to five sentences in length.
Some questions may require a short one-sentence answer, whereas others require a five-sentence answer for a complete explanation.
Consider the most common and obvious answer.
A scholarly reference is required for answers where a source such as textbook or clinical practice guideline is used to develop your response.
Resources to support completion of this assignment:
Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. (2020). 2020 global strategy for prevention, diagnosis and management of COPD (Links to an external site.)
Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, 2020. Available from www.ginasthma.org (Links to an external site.)
Direct link to pocket guide: https://ginasthma.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/GINA-2020-full-report_-final-_wms.pdf
The purpose of this assignment is to apply the principles of pharmacology to support clinical decisions when prescribing for common acute or chronic diseases. You will synthesize and apply current knowledge regarding pharmacology to the applied case and discuss the mechanisms of action of the various agents used in the treatment of childhood asthma. A summary of the case will also be presented in the SOAP format which will be explained within the assignment.
2. The Subjective, Objective, Assessment, and Plan (SOAP) note is a method of documentation used by NPs and other healthcare professionals and includes:
S: subjective information provided by the patient
O: objective information obtained by the provider
A: assessment is the medical diagnosis rather than the physical assessment. *Hint, this information has already been provided to you in the case.
P: medical plan.
Write a brief SOAP note addressing Haley’s presentation to the clinic and chief complaint. Be sure to include each component: SOAP. A reference is not required for this question.
3. Based on table 62.9 in your book and the infographic in the course on “The Things to Remember When Treating Asthma”, how would you classify Haley’s asthma?
4. What medication(s) would you prescribe in addition to what Haley is already taking? Provide drug name, dose, and directions for each drug/drug class you would like to order at this time.
5. What is your rationale for the medication you chose to prescribe?
6. What type of patient education would you provide to Haley and her father on controlling her asthma?
7. Should Haley be prescribed a cough suppressant. Why or why not?
8. Write a prescriiption for the first drug of choice in your treatment plan. (Remember that Haley is school-age and is in school during the week).
Directions for Use:
Indication for Use:
A reference is not required for this question.
9. Provide the mechanism of action (MOA) for the prescribed medication in layman’s terms. In other words, explain it the way you would explain it to a patient.
10. Include a recommendation on the use of spacers in children with asthma. Why should they be used or not used? Include information on any required education and/or medication that should be provided to the school nurse.
11. What does Haley’s father need to know about how his smoking affects her asthma? What education would you give Haley’s father on smoking cessation?
USE APA Citation