Is −8 a solution to the equation 3x = 16 − 5x? How do you know?
Assignment Descriiption – Linear Equations
Reflect upon “Linear Equations”, answer the following questions (be sure to detail how you arrived at your answer):
1. Is −8 a solution to the equation 3x = 16 − 5x? How do you know?
2. Friday started to solve the equation 3x = 36 by adding 3 to both sides. Explain why Friday’s method will not solve the equation.
3. Solve the equation 10x+14= – 2x+38 explaining all the steps of your solution as in the examples in this section.
4. In a system of linear equations, the two equations have the same slope. Describe the
possible solutions to the system.
5. Write an application problem similar to example 5.37 from the book using the ages of two of your friends or family members. Then translate to a system of equations and solve it.
6. Take a handful of two types of coins and write a problem similar to example 5.46 from the book relating the total number of coins and their total value. Set up a system of equations to describe your situation and then solve it.
Length: 500+ words total for this assignment
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the minimum word amount for this assignment.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least one (1) scholarly reference to support your claims. Use in-text citations as needed.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).