develop a Wiki
Since the partial meltdown and resulting radiation leak at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1979, nuclear energy has been considered a non-starter in most of the U.S. The accidents at Chernobyl in the Ukraine (1986) and Fukushima, Japan (2011) and others have made nuclear energy unpopular worldwide.
Global climate change has re-started the conversation about nuclear energy due to the fact that nuclear reactors produce large amounts of electricity with no release of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gases. Additionally, recent developments in reactor technology have made reactors potentially much safer than they were in the past.
Overall Assignment: Students are to work with the other members of their group is to develop a Wiki that includes:
1. The presentation and discussion of the fundamental types of nuclear energy generation. [This should include existing nuclear energy, as well as types that have not yet been commercially developed.]
2. An evaluation of the relative merits as well as the problems or potential problems associated with each of the reactor technologies identified in 1.
3. Identification of both pros and cons with respect to the development and use of nuclear energy.
4. A conclusion – a group opinion paragraph supported with evidence on the viability of the use of nuclear energy in the U.S.
5. Identification of sources used to create the paragraph. ( Work cited )