Describe your earliest recollections of learning about discrimination, microaggressions, and prejudice.
PERSONAL CULTURAL ANALYSIS
Write a thorough analysis exploring the dimensions of your cultural heritage and experiences with discrimination and biases. As you write your cultural analysis, use peer-reviewed articles and assigned readings to support your work. In our profession, we understand that purposeful and reflective writing promotes personal and professional development.
In your cultural analysis, make sure you address the following:
• Your Cultural Heritage.
• Describe the multiple dimensions of your identity in detail (for example, age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or spiritual practice, class, ability/disability, and others). Explain any intersectionality that may occur within two or more of these dimensions.
NEEDED INFO: I AM AFRICAN-AMERICAN/BLACK, 32, HETEROSEXUAL, AGNOSTIC, MALE, MIDDLE CLASS, DISABILITY: CHRONIC PAIN SYNDROME/FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME.
• Your Group Awareness.
• Describe which groups or aspects of your cultural heritage and your spiritual or religious orientation have been most salient to your personal identity development. For example, provide specific examples of activities, traditions, or practices you participate in as they relate to culture. Examples may include religious events, holidays, celebrations, festivals, sports, dance, or music.
• Your Social Awareness and Experiences.
• Describe your earliest recollections of learning about discrimination, microaggressions, and prejudice. For example, when was the first time you recall seeing someone discriminate or use a microaggression against another person? You may also describe a time you felt discriminated against or experienced microaggressions. How do you recall feeling at that time?
• What did this encounter teach you that could be helpful in your future counseling practice?
• Explain how your experience impacted your:
Understanding and acceptance of others.
Empathy toward others.
• Your Counseling Specialization and Ethical Obligation.
o Explain your counseling specialty and describe how your commitment to building cultural competence aligns with the code of ethics specific to your future counseling profession. Explore your ethical obligations through a culturally contextual framework applying the Multicultural Social Justice Counseling Competencies (MSJCC) found in your Week 1 course readings (Ratts et al., 2016).
INFO NEEDED: COUNSELING SPECIALIZATION: MASTERS IN CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING
• Your Current Views.
o Describe how your cultural heritage and spiritual or religious orientation will present opportunities and challenges in applying multicultural counseling with diverse populations. Write a professional-growth-oriented goal addressing the challenge that you identified. Describe ways in which you will work toward achieving your identified goal. When you write your goal, consider the information you learned in Week 2 from the Check Our Bias To Wreck Our Bias video and your scores on the Implicit Association’s Tests (IAT).
• Your Professional Presentation.
o As you write your cultural analysis, please communicate in a manner related to your cultural identity and experiences using professionally appropriate language and writing mechanics acceptable for professional counseling settings. Please use relevant sources to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using the current APA style. This assignment requires a minimum of four (4) scholarly resources from peer-reviewed journals published within the past 5–7 years.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
• Template: Use the APA Sample Paper Template provided in the resources.
• Written communication: Written communication must be grammatically correct and free of errors that detract from the overall message. Writing should be consistent with the graduate-level scholarship. Note: Because this is your cultural analysis, you may write it in the first person.
• APA format: Title page, main body, and references should be formatted according to the current APA style and formatting.
• Number of resources: A minimum of four (4) scholarly sources from peer-reviewed journals, textbooks or reputable associations or organizations, such as the American Counseling Association (ACA), American School Counselor Association (ASCA), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), and National Institutes of Health (NIH), published within the past 5–7 years. Distinguished submissions typically exceed this minimum.
• Length of paper: 5–6 double-spaced pages, not including the title page and reference page. No abstract is required for this assignment.
• Font and font-size: Times New Roman, 12 point.