Discuss the value of close reading. What is H&G’s position on close reading?
1. The Impact of COVID-19 on Students Achievement
2. Harvey and Goudvis Chapters 3 and 4
3. McLaughlin, M. & Overturf, B. J. (2012). The Common Core: Insights into the K–5 Standards. The Reading Teacher, 66(2), 153-164.
4. Gradual Release of Responsibility https://www.literacyleader.com/node/477
1. What is the essential philosophy of the Common Core? Is it possible to attain the goals in the era of Covid-19? What challenges do educator face as we enter this unchartered territory? Consider McLaughlin, Harvey and Goudvis and Brookings article in your response.
2. How can teachers work together to plan standards-based instruction and monitor
students’ progress in the time of COVID? What challenges might educators face?
3. Select 3 quotes from the Brookings article that resonate with you and explain why.
4. What is thinking intensive learning and how does it impact students?
5. Discuss the value of close reading. What is H&G’s position on close reading?
6. Text selection in key to strategic literacy learning. Discuss the value in selecting the following types of text:
• Short text (how does it support comprehension instruction?)
• Digital reading/Technology
• Picture Books