Summarize the impact of the practice problem idea.
Practice Problem Analysis and Presentation
The purpose of this assignment is to critically evaluate a practice problem idea you identified. This assignment builds on the Week 4 assignment. Information used in the Week 4 assignment may be used as a basis for this assignment. The goal is to develop a deeper understanding of the identified practice problem idea, using two continuous quality improvement tools, specifically, a Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and an Ishikawa (fishbone) cause and effect diagram to analyze, improve, and mitigate related risks. This assignment will allow you to apply competencies through sequential development of workflow steps in relation to an identified practice problem idea and promotion of presentation skills. Assignment content supports professional formation, communication, and dissemination skills relevant to the DNP-prepared nurse.
My PRACTICE PROBLEM IS SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER IN Pregnant women in USA
This assignment has four components:
1. Identified practice problem idea in PICOT format
2. Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
3. Ishikawa (Fishbone) cause and effect diagram
4. Professional PowerPoint with speaker notes at the bottom of each slide to disseminate information
Follow these guidelines when completing each component of the assignment. Contact your course faculty if you have questions.
1. Consider the identified practice problem idea used in the Week 4 translation science project including PICOT, background, and significance. Incorporate course faculty feedback from the Week 4 assignment.
2. Review the examples of the failure mode and effects analysis and fishbone diagram in the Week 4 Explore section of the course called Evidence-Based Practice: Improving Outcomes.
3. Download the required documents inserted in the guidelines:
a. Link (PPT): PowerPoint Template (Links to an external site.)
b. Link (Word doc): Failure Mode and Effects Analysis Template (Links to an external site.)
c. Link (Word doc): Ishikawa Fishbone Template A (Links to an external site.) (Word 2016 or higher)
d. Link (Word doc): Ishikawa Fishbone Template B (Links to an external site.) (older version of Word)
4. Complete the failure mode and effects analysis and then the Ishikawa fishbone diagram. The Ishikawa fishbone diagram requires Word 2016 to download. If you do not have the Word 2016 version, you may update your current version of Word (click on the following link for instructions: Office 365 (Links to an external site.)) or use the alternative version provided or create your own fishbone diagram as long as you are addressing the five areas:
5. Create the PowerPoint Presentation.
The assignment should include the following components. Use the templates provided for the assignment.
1. Introduction (1 slide)
a. Title of Practice Problem Analysis Presentation
b. Student Name
c. Assignment Title
d. Course Faculty Name
2. Practice Problem Identification (1-3 slides)
a. State identified practice problem as a PICOT question in question format.
b. Identify all PICOT components.
c. Describe the background and significance of the identified practice problem idea (cited).
d. Develop inclusion criteria for the population of interest.
e. Develop exclusion criteria for the population of interest.
3. Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (1-2 slides)
a. Identify three steps in the identified practice problem idea process with potential breakdown or process gaps.
b. Identify at least one potential error (failure mode) for each of the three process steps.
c. Identify at least one possible cause of failure (failure cause) for each of the three process steps.
d. Identify at least one adverse consequence (failure effect) for each of the three process steps.
e. Using a scale 1-10, rate likelihood of occurrence of failure for each process step.
f. Using a scale 1-10, rate likelihood of detection of failure for each process step.
g. Using a scale 1-10, rate likelihood of severity of harm if failure occurs for each process step.
h. Calculate the Risk Profile Number (Multiply likelihood of occurrence X likelihood of detection X likelihood of severity or harm).
i. Summarize FMEA analysis.
Note: The following article has scoring guidelines for FMEA ratings which may be helpful.
Warnick, R. E., Lusk, A. R., Thaman, J. J., Levick, E. H., & Seitz, A. D. (2020). Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) to enhance safety and efficiency of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery. (Links to an external site.) Journal of Radiosurgery and SBRT, 7, 115-125.
4. Ishikawa (Fishbone) Cause and Effect Diagram (1-2 slides)
a. Identify people involved in the identified practice problem idea.
b. Identify the environment in which the identified practice problem idea occurs.
c. Identify the materials used.
d. Identify the methods used.
e. Identify the equipment used.
f. Summarize cause and effect analysis.
5. Evidence-Based Intervention (1 -2 slides)
a. Identify the evidence-based intervention for your identified practice problem idea (listed in PICOT).
b. Identify barriers to overcome based upon what you learned from the FMEA and Fishbone Analyses.
c. Discuss feasibility of the evidence-based intervention.
6. Conclusion (1 slide)
a. Summarize the purpose and findings of the analysis.
b. Provide and justify the main conclusions.
c. Draw inferences from the quality improvement analysis.
7. References (1 slide)
a. Include in-text citations used in the presentation.
b. Provide complete matching references in correct APA format.
c. Include minimum of four scholarly sources.
• Length: Maximum of 14 slides
• Standard English usage and mechanics
• APA format guidelines for in-text citation and references
• Clear, succinct, and readable slides
• Elaboration on the slide questions
• Speaker notes section with legible comprehensive notes for each slide
Graduate Re-Purpose Policy
The late assignment policy and the reuse repurpose policy (located in the student handbook) apply to this assignment.
This discussion enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
1. Assess the impact of informatics and information technology on organizational systems, change, and improvement. (PO 6)
3. Design programs that monitor and evaluate outcomes of care, care systems, and quality improvement. (PO 7)
5. Appraise consumer health information sources for accuracy, timeliness, and appropriateness. (PO 7)
6. Resolve ethical and legal issues related to the use of information, communication networks, and information and patient care technology. (PO 6)
The assignment should include the following components. Contact course faculty for questions.
a. Develop a focused one-sentence purpose statement.
b. Explain the selected practice problem idea in general terms (cited).
2. Practice Problem and Question (Narrative or Conceptual Map)
a. Discuss the significance of the practice problem idea (cited).
b. Discuss the prevalence of the practice problem idea (cited).
c. Discuss the economic ramifications of the practice problem idea (cited).
d. Identify an evidence-based intervention to address the selected practice problem idea (cited).
e. Construct the practice problem PICOT in question format.
3. Evidence Synthesis of the Literature (Narrative or Conceptual Map)
a. Discuss the scope of evidence including databases searched and keywords.
b. Compare and contrast main points from the evidence integrated in a cohesive manner (cited).
c. Provide objective rationale for the evidence-based intervention to address the practice problem idea. (cited).
4. Data-Driven Decision-Making (Narrative or Conceptual Map)
a. Describe the source of the evidence (i.e., internal data to support the need for change at practicum site to improve outcomes and/or nursing practice. Example: incident reports, readmission rates, infection rates, etc.).
b. Identify how the use of information technologies potentially influence data capture, process improvement, evaluation, and patient outcomes related to your practice problem idea.
5. Conclusion (Write one concise paragraph.)
a. Summarize the impact of the practice problem idea.
b. Summarize the role of the evidence-based intervention to address the practice problem idea.
a. Identify and list four scholarly sources used in evidence synthesis on the reference pages.
b. Identify and list other scholarly sources used in the paper on the reference pages.
c. List scholarly sources in alphabetical order.
d. Use correct hanging-indent format.
7. Appendix: Summary Table of the Evidence
a. Attach the completed John Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Individual Evidence Summary Tool.
Link (Word doc): John Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Individual Evidence Summary Tool (Links to an external site.)
b. Provide a minimum of four research studies.
c. Complete all sections completely for the four sources of evidence.
d. Identify both the quality and level of evidence for each scholarly source on the table.
Level I Headings for the Assignment
• Practice Problem and Question
• Evidence Synthesis of the Literature
• Data-Driven Decision Making
• Appendix: Summary Table of the Evidence
Writing Requirements (APA format)
• Length: 6-8 pages (not including title page or references page)
• 1-inch margins
• Double-spaced pages
• 12-point Times New Roman or 11-point Arial font
• Headings & subheadings
• In-text citations
• Title page
• Reference page
• Standard English usage and mechanics