describe the local government comprehensive planning process in detail.
*INSTRUCTIONS ALSO UPLOADED IN FILES SECTION.
CASE STUDY: LOCAL GOVERNMENT PLANNING & ZONING ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
This case study assignment is designed to test your ability to conduct effective research, gain a
nuanced understanding of complex concepts, synthesize the ideas reflected in your research with
those reflected in your required readings, and to evaluate and apply these ideas to an issue of
For this Case Study, you will first select one city, town, or county of your choice and read its
comprehensive plan and process. From there you must describe the local government
comprehensive planning process in detail. (How does the process work? Why is it used? What
purpose does it serve? What are the impacts and second-order consequences?). Then describe the
necessary elements in selected city, town, or county’s local government comprehensive plan.
(How do the elements of a comprehensive plan work? Why are they used? What purpose do they
serve? What are the effects and second order consequences?). Further, describe the necessary
primary stakeholders to have a successful comprehensive plan. (What primary stakeholders are
involved in a local government comprehensive plan? What do they contribute? What purpose do
they serve? What are their influences and second order consequences of their involvement?).
Additionally, describe the factors that can influence comprehensive plan development. (How do
the factors affect a local government comprehensive plan? What purpose do they serve? What
are the impacts and second order consequences?). Finally, determine a biblical viewpoint
concerning planning. Please use scriipture to support the position. Integrate Biblical verses rather
than at the end of the paper. Items to include are outlined as follows:
• Length of assignment is 2,000 – 2,500-words (8 – 10-pages)
not including title page, reference page, and any appendices.
• Format of assignment: CURRENT APA format with 1-inch margins, 12-pt. Times New Roman font, and must include a title page and reference page.
• Must include a Biblical perspective in this paper and cite at least one Biblical reference.
• Number of citations: Minimum 21 –
o 1 Required Textbook, 12 required readings indicated below, PLUS minimum 8 additional scholarly sources to fully support your assertions and conclusions. Writer chooses these additional sources. These must be cited in accordance with CURRENT APA guidelines.
• Acceptable sources: Use scholarly sources only. No websites, podcasts, dictionaries,
encyclopedias, or magazines. Peer reviewed journal articles, dissertations, and
• Must follow Template (attached). This assignment includes a template titled, Case Study: Local Government Planning & Zoning Template. This template lays out for you the organization of your paper by providing all sections titles and format to which they need to be included. Use this template to accurately complete this assignment.
• Rubric Attached.
REQUIRED TEXTBOOK for citations/references:
1.) Chapters 5-8 & 10. Cullingworth, Barry J., & Caves, Roger. (2014). Planning in the USA: Policies, issues, and processes (4th ed.). Routledge. ISBN: 9780415506977.
1. The Growing Smart Legislative Guidebook: Model Statutes for Planning and the Management of Change 2002 Edition
2. Local Government Compliance with State Planning Mandates: The Effects of State Implementation in Florida
3. The Effect of Mandated Planning on Plan Quality
4. Mandating Citizen Participation in Plan Making: Six Strategic Planning Choices
5. The Paradoxes of Public Space
6. Boulder County Comprehensive Plan
7. City of Cocoa Beach 2025 Comprehensive Plan
8. Denton Plan 2030
NOTE: This link has been disabled off and on – if it does not work, then do not include for references. Otherwise, please do include if able to.
9. Plan 2040: A Comprehensive Plan for Unincorporated Douglas County & The City of Lawrence
10. Power Point: Comprehensive Planning Process
11. Video Transcriipt: Introduction to the Zoning Project by Prince George’s County Planning Department
12. Holy Bible, Amos 3:7 – plus any other biblical references the writer finds relevant