Analyze several of the Critical Challenges Facing an Urban Planner What are they? [See below]
*INSTRUCTIONS ALSO UPLOADED IN THE FILES AREA.
FINAL CASE STUDY: CHALLENGES FACING URBAN PLANNERS ASSIGNMENT
This case study assignment is designed to test your ability to conduct effective research, gain a
nuanced understanding of complex concepts, synthesize the ideas reflected in your research with
those reflected in your required readings, and to evaluate and apply these ideas to an issue of
For this assignment, you will write an analysis critique of a case study in a traditional research
paper format. Specifically, you must:
1) Analyze several of the Critical Challenges Facing an Urban Planner What are they? [See
below] How do they affect the planning process? Why do they affect the planning process? What
are second-order consequences?
Some Challenges (pressures that exert a decisive influence on a planning organization’s
likelihood of future success.)
• Disruptive innovations
• Financing Difficulties
• Fragmented and overlapping governments, authorities, and special districts
• Untangling organizational purpose and organizational strategy
• Social conflicts, and rapid population growth
• The spread of scattered new development
• Outdated planning and zoning techniques
• Incorporating “what people think” (reputation and the social definition of value)
in strategic planning
2) Analyze the Solutions to each Planning and Development Challenge selected (What are they
How will they work? What are the impacts and second order consequences?)
3) Analyze the Partnerships That Can Mitigate, or Address each Planning and Development
Challenges selected using a biblical worldview (What parties are involved in the comprehensive
planning process? What do they contribute? What purpose do they serve? What are the impacts
and second order consequences of their involvement?)
Items to include are outlined as follows:
• Length of assignment is 2,500 – 3,000-words (10 – 12-pages)
not including title page, reference page, and any appendices.
• Format of assignment: CURRENT APA format with 1-inch margins, 12-pt. Times New Roman font, and must include a title page and reference page.
• Must include a Biblical perspective in this paper and cite at least one Biblical reference.
• Number of citations: Minimum 24 –
o 2 Required Textbooks, 14 required readings indicated below, PLUS minimum 8 additional scholarly sources to fully support your assertions and conclusions. Writer chooses these additional sources. These must be cited in accordance with CURRENT APA guidelines.
• Acceptable sources: Use scholarly sources only. No websites, podcasts, dictionaries,
encyclopedias, or magazines. Peer reviewed journal articles, dissertations, and
• Rubric Attached.
REQUIRED TEXTBOOKs for citations/references:
1.) Chapters 5-10. Cullingworth, Barry J., & Caves, Roger. (2014). Planning in the USA: Policies, issues, and processes (4th ed.). Routledge. ISBN: 9780415506977.
2.) Chapter 9, pp. 294 – 301. Couch, Chris. (2016). Urban planning. Palgrave McMillian. ISBN: 9781137427564.
1. Who Decides, How, and Why? Planning for the Judicial Review of Local Legislative Zoning Decisions
2. Zoning for Sustainability: A Review and Analysis of the Zoning Ordinances of 32 Cities in the United States
3. A Closer Look at Impact Fees
4. Best Practices in Land Bank Operation
5. Strategic Alignment for the New Normal: Collaboration, Sustainability, and Deliberation in Local Government Across Boundaries
6. Disruptive Innovation: A New Model for Public Sector Services
7. Interventions in Complex Urban Systems: How To Enable Modeling to Account for Disruptive Innovation
8. Fragmentation, Sprawl and Economic Development
9. Growth At the Fringe: The Influence of Political Fragmentation in United States Metropolitan Areas
10. Planning an Affordable City
11. Urban Sprawl, Smart Growth, and Deliberative Democracy
12. Power Point: Challenges to Urban Planning
13. Video: Future Challenges in Urban Planning
14. Holy Bible, Leviticus 25:34 – plus any other biblical references the writer finds relevant