What do you believe to be the “moral”, or “message’ of Crime and Punishment?
Essay Assignment Topics for Essay 1
Directions: 2-3 pages, typed, double-spaced.
This essay does not require MLA or APA formatting or any secondary sources.
100 points possible
After watching any version of the Crime and Punishment video, in class, available on Canvas or at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjWSmTF77xM write on one (1) ONLY of the following:
1. Explore how Raskolnikov changes: how, when, and why he changes after he commits the murders of the old pawnbroker and her younger sister.
2. Compare and contrast Rodya Raskolnikov and one other major character, for example Marmeladov (the drunk, Sonia’s father) or Inspector Porfiry.
3. What do you believe to be the “moral”, or “message’ of Crime and Punishment?
4. Explore the role(s) of fate, luck, and/or coincidence in Crime and Punishment.
5. How would you react in Rodya’s circumstances if faced with something similar?
6. What destructive role does drunkenness and alcoholism play in this story?
7. Examine conflict between two or more characters (for example, Sonia and her stepmother; Raskolnikov and Luzhin).
8. Analyze the importance of religious faith in this story.
9. Is Rodya mentally ill or simply stressed to the breaking point? Or both? (Defend your answer using examples from the story.)
10. Analyze tactics used by the police to get Rodya to confess. Would police use tactics like this today?
11. If you had a chance to watch both Crime and Punishment videos, compare and contrast the two, stating which you preferred and why.
12. If you have previously read the novel Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevski, how does the novel compare and contrast with the video version of the story that you watched?