A cover letter for a civil/environmental engineering job posting
Posted Position Descriiption or Instructions
The subject of the writing sample may be one of the following:
▪ A cover letter for a civil/environmental engineering job posting (entry-level permanent position or internship; example job posting)
▪ A cover letter (or statement of purpose, essay, etc.) for a graduate program application (see “statement of purpose” instructions for CEE graduate application)
Your writing sample must be a 1-2 page response to the posting/application/RFP/RFQ that you chose. For most students, this will typically be a cover letter that would be submitted along with a résumé for a job posting. The writing sample may not include a résumé (you can include one, but it will not be reviewed nor count towards your grade).
Your writing sample should use a technical/format writing style, meaning it is clear, concise, specific, and explicitly responsive.
An optional cover letter template is provided for you to use.
Whether or not you use the provided template, your writing sample must meet the following formatting requirements.
1. Page Size: U.S. Letter (8.50”x11.00”)
2. Margins: 0.50”-1.00”
3. Font: Times New Roman, 11pt
4. Line Spacing: 1.15x
5. Length: 400-500 words, not including heading, salutation, closing (2 pages max.)
6. Page Numbering: none
For job postings, you may use any resource to find the position descriiption, but you are encouraged to look at engineering firm or agency websites directly (as opposed to looking at job aggregator sites such as Monster.com).